Sunday, January 2, 2011

Winter song

It's a beautiful world. Sorry to wax lyrical at first line, but I'm at Spill the Beans, downtown Greenville, staring out wide windows. Bare branches delicately entwined with white twinkle lights.

This, I have determined, is my favorite time of year. Fall/winter. Perhaps I should add "in South Carolina," though I remember loving this time in New York. I love the light on brick and asphalt. A sense that the world sort of retracts and cocoons itself. Donning my heavy coat and bevy of scarves. For whatever reason, I'm a cold-weather person and perhaps a cold-weather cook. Soups and stews and curries, oh my!

One-pot meals, or what I call "dinner parties," are great for entertaining because the recipes make ladlefuls. Add a smart salad, chocolate dessert, $10 wine (try Mouton Cadet White Bordeaux, a tasty blend of Sauvignon blanc, Semillon, and Muscadet, or a slightly more expensive Oregon Pinot if you're serving Julia's Boeuf Bourguignon), and bada bing! You're set.

Of course the holidays offered ample opportunities to break out the Dutch oven (or huge pot, in my case). For example, last week I whipped up one of my favorite ethnic stews, Ethiopian chickpea, all six servings of which were neatly consumed by my guest and me. Well, mostly by my guest.

I see this trend continuing. Winter's here for a while. I say, grab the lotion and go outside! Chill out. See the light. And dig in.