They say that 30 is big. ("I wanna be BIG." —Josh, in the movie Big)
What is this emphasis on 30? I haven't looked it up yet. Haven't looked up its history or evolution as the ostensible marker of adulthood. 21 is big, yes. So is 25 (quarter-life crisis). 60, 62, 65 . . . But somehow 30 beats all.
30. It's strange how a number can alter one's psychology. Suddenly I see more freckles, moles, lines. Senility—or more of it.
It's also fun. Fun to give weight to this age, a significant if not honorable feeling of transformation. Passage.
Thus, in honor of 30—and in the spirit of my love of lists (tip of the cap to you, Kat White)—I present 30 for 30. Thirty goals for my year at 30. (Here's hoping they impact 31.)
- Follow through.
- Purchase local art. Purchase a few more chairs so that standing is an option.
- Rock climb. A real rock.
- Boxing circuit training at Y.
- Travel to another continent, a new country.
- Change the routine.
- Ask more questions. Embrace your limitations and go from there. It's okay to be vulnerable.
- Buy a bike. Bike to work.
- Focus. Energy is everywhere, but harnessed energy is powerful. And it changes lives. Focus your energy.
- Read opinions different from your own.
- Turn the computer off at 10.
- Honesty. Upfront. I think that's called being straightforward.
- Host a dinner party. or two. or three.
- Keep work at work. Keep home for yourself.
- Respect others while respecting yourself.
- Own up. Own it.
- Watch season one of Mad Men . . .
- Watch Luis Bunuel's classic, The Exterminating Angel (per Woody Allen).
- Buy more plants.
- Can't find that class you're looking for? Start your own.
- Say yes to that experience, even if it's scary. There's a difference between danger and fear. Again, vulnerability is key.
- Meet an admired artist/communicator.
- Write letters. With a pen.
- Sleep more—8 hours is good. You have time.
- Make a complicated recipe. or two. or three.
- If you've thought about it 5 times, chances are you need to act.
- Go to the doctor.
- Have your palm read.
- Embrace the culture where you are. So much going on around you. Notice it.
- Reach out.
Okay, so that's 31. One to grow on.